If you loved Titanic, you’re going to like Lusitania Lost!
Lusitania Lost: The author of the Conan the Barbarian series turns his novelistic eye to real-life history of World War 1 in a “Titanic meets the Guns of August” spy thriller.
A Lusitania spy thriller: History, romance, action. This is the final voyage of the Lusitania, the world's fastest luxury liner torpedoed by a German U-boat in the first year of the Great War. The story is told above and below decks, in the capitals and battlefields of Europe. We meet world leaders, the swank Broadway party set on shipboard, and the relentless submarine crew who fired the torpedo that launched America into war.
Romance, intrigue and murder: Alma Brady is on the run from a New York mob boss. Desperate to escape Big Jim Hogan and his murderous gang, she joins a group of nurses bound for the Great War in Europe. Their ship is the Lusitania, the most celebrated luxury liner of 1915, with a passenger list of Broadway and Continental celebrities headed for certain doom. Aboard the Lusitania she meets Matthew Vane, a war correspondent who wants to find out what secret weapons may be hidden in the Lusitania cargo hold. During the one-week voyage, the characters are drawn into romance, intrigue and murder, culminating in a disaster whose full harrowing details have never been revealed in history or fiction.
Lusitania horror and hope: Even with the threat of German U-boats and the too-recent Titanic disaster, who can guess that the passengers aboard Lusitania face dangers more horrifying than any on the war-torn battlefields across the Atlantic? Nor does Alma realize how relentlessly her past will pursue her. And, the lover she meets is a daredevil reporter intent on probing the Lusitania’s innermost secrets. His quest may lead them both into even greater peril, or give rise…just possibly…to hope.
#1 Amazon Best Seller! ─ Great Wines and Great Writers are a Wonderful Blend
A fact-filled, jargon free guide to wine, bursting with entertaining anecdotes, literary quotes and compelling humor that will teach you everything you always wanted to learn about wine but were too scared to ask.
Pure delight. "This book would be a highly recommendable primer on wine without the literary references as Alexander guides us through regions and grapes, plus how to truly appreciate this nectar. But the hefty chapter matching grapes with authors is pure delight: albariño and J.R.R. Tolkien, chardonnay and Jane Austen, and his personal favorite, gewürztraminer and Marcel Proust." - Minneapolis Star Tribune
The pleasures of great wine and great writers. Under the careful guidance of his father, Patrick Alexander began drinking wine with his meals at the age of five. At the same age, encouraged by his mother, he began a lifelong love-affair with books. The twin pleasures of wine and writing remained his passion for the next sixty-five years. He has raised his own children in many of the world’s great wine growing regions, from Bordeaux and Piedmont in Europe to the Santa Cruz mountains of California while researching and writing his definitive guide to the novels of Marcel Proust.
History of wine and some of the best wines. For the past six years, Patrick has been teaching a sold-out wine appreciation class at the nation’s No.1 independent bookstore, Books & Books in Coral Gables, Florida. The Booklovers' Guide to Wine is based on this very successful class and blends Patrick’s passion for the culture and history of wine and his love of literature for the world's great writers. A literary twist on traditional food and wine pairings, this book explores how great wines and great writers can be combined to enhance the enjoyment of both. The book describes the history of wine from the time of Noah to the birth of two-buck Chuck.
By Alice Mary Alvrez and Others
• Forks Over Knives has become a worldwide movement encouraging people to eat more plants and forego meat; the book selling over a million copies with a popular film viewed by over 20 million • Much more than a cookbook, Alvrez’s book offers readers insight into why we eat the way we do • Filled with tips, tricks and secrets for a sustainable lifestyle so readers can go green • Starter garden tips for readers at any level so ditch the high-maintenance lawn and grow veggies, fresh herbs and eat food with the highest nutrient levels
[Available as audio]
By Les Arbuckle
• Just in time to accompany the September release of Ken Burn’s Vietnam Documentary series, which Burn’s claims as his finest to date. • Reads like “Good Morning, Vietnam meets “The Quiet American,” this memoir is a secrets history of Saigon under fire. • Features archival photos from the period revealing the peaceful American-South Vietnamese relations before the implosions. • Up close and personal revelations about the protests of the Buddhist monks to keep peace, including the now-famous immolation of one of Thich Nhat Han’s acolyte (including a never-before-seen rare photo)
[Available as audio]
True story of survival
Mother and unborn child beat cancer through faith and determination
One of the truly remarkable stories of faith and determination: At age 29, Heather Choate was diagnosed with breast cancer. She was ten weeks pregnant with her sixth child. Her unborn baby became victim to the fast-spreading and highly dangerous cancer in Heather’s body that already spread to her lymph nodes. Doctors told her she needed to abort her baby to save her life. Heather told them, “I’d rather die than take the life of my baby.” Heather and her husband set out to find a way to save both mother and baby. The journey pushed them to the fringes of their stamina, tested the strength of their familial relationships and found them clinging to their faith like it was the last bit of thread on a lifeline.
Reading true stories of survival may change your life: We all have unexpected adversity in life. It’s those things that we think “will never happen to us.” It could be the loss of job, the birth of a special needs child, the downturn of the economy or an unexpected health challenge. Most of us would easily crumble under such circumstances, but Heather found that its not about what happens to you, its about what you do with it. You don’t have to almost die, to learn how to live and Heather shows us how. Despite adversity, nearly impossible challenges can be met, families can be strengthened and faith can sustain even the most desperate souls on their journey. She brings her role as cancer warrior into the real lives of readers, addressing topics that affect them most: dealing with doubt and insecurity, discovering who they really are, renewing their passion, negotiating family strife, releasing relentless regrets, succeeding against temptation, weathering their worst fears, pressing on against fatigue and illness, uprooting bitterness and more. Fighting for Our Lives will take you on a journey of self-examination and appreciation of the beauties of today, and the book could actually change your life.
What you'll learn in Fighting for Our Lives:
- Don’t just survive challenges, thrive through them
- How to use your power of choice, because it’s not what happens to you that matters, its what you do about it
- Practical ways that faith sustains and strengthens
- How to deal with doubt and insecurity
- Best ways to release negativity and find forgiveness
- How to trust your inner voice
By Alice Alvarez and Others
• Vegan cooking is the single biggest trend in the last three years, even Oprah is “veganish” • Features original recipes that make it easy for busy people to incorporate vegan meals in their lifestyle, even ones you can make ahead for the week- easy freezy! • 41% of Americans ate less meat in 2015 and the number of vegans jumped to 7% • This book is packed with practical steps and detailed information about how cattle, meat and chicken industries are extremely bad for the planet, the animals and not so good for people either as well as wisdom for “vegan” fashion and greening your home. • Forewordist, Elise Collins and author Alvrez are longtime pals who have taught together and will do workshops, events, demos and tastings for a West Coast “Vegans Save the World Tour.”
[Available as audio]
By Jen Cross
By KJ Landis
A health and wellness toolkit
Health and wellness: Happy Healthy You is a multidisciplinary approach to reclaiming ultimate wellness. We are all so busy nowadays, and tackling all those to-do lists can leave us drained, worn down, and lacking energy. When you take a deeper look inside, you will also discover patterns, old habits, and past events blocking self-growth. Life coach extraordinaire KJ Landis helps identify how, why, and where we got stuck in the first place, and how we can utilize past trauma and drama as a springboard to becoming our most authentic, vibrant selves. As one of KJ's students enthuses, "She has taught me several tangible strategies to cope with stress...I am using KJ's simple techniques to achieve my lifelong health goals.'"
Stress relievers: Learn to lose the baggage and blame once and for all and step into your better self. KJ Landis herself is an exemplar of the practices she espouses. In her early career as a model, she masked years of abuse behind her beauty. Her journey to health and happiness is remarkable and truly inspiring. So many of us bury pieces of ourselves, never daring to become whole. Landis' work offers a path to wholeness for all. The variety of healing therapies and practices makes this book unique in its contribution to the self-help and wellness world. Each day, we are faced with an immense amount of daily stress. Over time, those stressors may build up to a really big deal in our lives, causing us to go into survival mode. When you are only surviving, you are not thriving. In addition to the day-to-day sources of stress, many of us are exposed to major issues such as neglect, loneliness, abandonment issues, sexual abuse, grieving after loss, breakups, workplace challenges, environmental disasters, hormonal imbalances, and nutritional deficiencies. KJ Landis tackles all the blocks to wellness with excellent practical tools for overcoming and recovering.
Inside this book you will learn:
- the origin of how we remain "stuck" in our lives
- how to use The Negative Thought Pot to rid ourselves of self-deprecating beliefs
- how hormones and epigenetics affect mental and physical wellness
- the role of nutrition in every aspect of our health
- therapeutic movement as a modality in healing
- the power of self-care through restorative practices
- and much, much more!
#1 New Release on Amazon! — Who are the great women leaders in history? Who are the women heroes who personify "girl power"?
Intrepid women heroes: When Nelson Mandela was imprisoned in South Africa’s brutal Robben Prison, he tirelessly turned to the poem Invictus. The inspirational verse by the Victorian William Ernest Henley, penned on the occasion of the amputation of his leg. Still I Rise takes its title from a work by Maya Angelou and it resonates with the same spirit of an unconquerable soul, a woman who is captain of her fate. Just as Invictus brought solace to generations so does the contemporary classic. Still I Rise embodies the strength of character of the inspiring women profiled. Each chapter will outline the fall and rise of great women heroes who smashed all obstacles, rather than let all obstacles smash them. The book offers hope to those undergoing their own Sisyphean struggles. Intrepid women heroes are the antithesis of the traditional damsels in distress; rather than waiting for the prince, they took salvation into their own hands.
Celebrate girl power! Women leaders in history celebrated in this book include:
- Madame C. J. Walker - first female American millionaire
- Aung San Suu Kyi - Burma’s first lady of freedom
- Betty Shabazz - civil rights activist
- Nellie Sachs - Holocaust survivor and Nobel Prize recipient
- Selma Lagerlof - first woman Nobel Laureate
- Fannie Lou Hamer - American voting rights activist
- Bessie Coleman - first African-American female pilot
- Wilma Rudolph - first woman to win three gold medals
- Sonia Sotomayor - first Hispanic Supreme Court justice
- Wangari Maathai - Nobel Prize winner
- Winnifred Mandela - freedom fighter
- Lois Wilson - founder of Al-Anon
- Roxanne Quimby - co-founder of Burt’s Bees
Stories of success, happiness and hope from the LGBT community
Stories that comprise the best of LGBT history: Pride and Joy: LGBTQ Artists, Icons and Everyday Heroestells the stories of queer citizens of the world living OUT and proud happy, fulfilling, successful lives. Diverse and global. Famous and unsung. There is a story here for everyone in the LGBT community who has ever questioned their sexual orientation or gender identity, or discovered it.
Discover LGBT community stories that will stir you and reveal:
- why Tony Kushner quit cello and how Colm Toibin found his voice.
- why Emma Donoghue calls her experience a fluke and the best advice Bill T. Jones got was from his mother.
- how being an inaugural poet changed Richard Blanco’s life and how Ugandan activist “LongJones” escaped death threats and gained asylum.
Award-winning writer and longtime LGBTQ activist Kathleen Archambeau tells the untold stories from diverse LGBT community voices around the corner or around the world. Not like the depressing, sinister, shadowy stories of the past, this book highlights queer people living open, happy, fulfilling and successful lives.
Be inspired by LGBT community stories that celebrate the human spirit:
- Be emboldened by the bravery of a Uruguayan author who was rejected by her immediate family even as she began a family of her own.
- Be inspired by the audacity to fight for justice that motivates National Center for Lesbian Rights Executive Director Kate Kendell, a Mormon who grew up in Utah.
- Learn how two couples transcend time and distance to finally be together and how one NBA sports executive summoned the courage to come out.
- Discover the message of love from the first openly lesbian United Methodist Church Bishop.
- Learn the secrets of successful OUT IBM executive based in London and the rewards of Ballroom Basix founder in Harlem.
- See how the Maori philosophy of whānau guided the MP who won marriage rights in New Zealand and how high expectations overcame disability and bullying for an acclaimed mezzo-soprano.
- Know how the Armenian Genocide and family tensions impacted a professional violinist and composer.
Pride & Joy is a window into the LGBTQ community for straight friends, allies, parents and families of this finally emerging marginalized group. There’s hope that, in the words of Dan Savage, “It Gets Better” for:
- the transgender choreographer and dancer who continues to break rules and enlighten audiences to the Dutch singer, songwriter and independent theater producer who breaks down stereotypes.
- the Russian émigré award-winning computer scientist to the Chinese folk dancer.
- the founder of an award-winning smoking cessation program to the California Political Director of the Obama re-election campaign.
- and, for Entrepreneurs and gay dads, ballroom dancers and Hungarian activists on neo-Nazi “hit lists.”
#1 Amazon New Release! ─ Silence the Voice of Self Doubt
Are you ready to boost your personal productivity—minus the fear and loathing? Are you ready to Banish Your Inner Critic and unleash your creative ideas and personal productivity within? Help is on the way!
Blocking your great creative ideas: Everybody has an inner critic telling you that others have more talent, you’re just faking it, and that you’ll never have those great creative ideas that seem just out of reach. This inner critic is a subconscious deterrent that stands between the seeds of great creative ideas and the fruits of achievement. It afflicts us with a mental block as deadlines approach; makes us so afraid of being judged that we hold ourselves back and don’t share our expertise; forces us to question our ability to learn ideas and technologies quickly; and makes us doubt, discount, and kill our ideas before they see the light of day.
Open up a world of creative ideas: Denise Jacobs is a speaker, author and creativity evangelist who speaks at web conferences and consults with tech companies worldwide. As the Founder and Chief Creativity Evangelist of "The Creative Dose", she teaches techniques to make the creative process more fluid, methods for making work environments more conducive to personal productivity, and practices for sparking innovation. In her book, Banish Your Inner Critic, Denise Jacobs shows you how to defeat those barriers that are holding you back, and achieve success through a positive mental attitude.
Banish Your Inner Critic shows you how to:
- Identify and quiet your voice of self doubt
- Master 3 powerful transformative practices
- Overcome the fear of not knowing enough or being original enough
- Transform your self talk into a tool for success
- Generate more creative ideas than ever before
- Embrace your expertise and share your brilliance with the world
Banish your Inner Critic to start doing your best work, achieving excellence, and contributing meaningfully to the world!
By Rickey Bird
#1 Amazon Best Seller! — How to Make a Movie on a Tight Budget
How to make a movie. Filmmaker Rickey Bird and screenwriter and novelist Al Guevara are on a mission to help indie moviemakers everywhere. Today’s indie film market is growing by leaps and bounds. At the same time, many aspiring filmmakers are running into their share of problems:
- Not enough money for crews
- Over budget and likely making the wrong movie
- Can’t get the attention of an indie studio
- Should have started with a short film to gain attention
Cheap Movie Tricks. Film school numbers are increasing at more than 2,600 film-related courses worldwide. You probably didn’t even realize 48% of all film schools are in the U.S. and U.K. Thousands of aspiring filmmakers are learning how to use cheaper, widely available filmmaking technology, and the craft of making movies from books pulled from bookstore and library shelves. They’re totally DIY and the most creative people you will ever meet. Rickey Bird’s Hectic Films is a Southern California enterprise that is building a filmmaking empire on a budget. His short films, feature films, micro docs and tutorials have landed in some of the biggest American film festivals and been seen online worldwide. The result? Millions of views worth of exposure from films online, in festivals and creative marketing literally on the street. His many projects have seen leading B actors like Hulk Hogan and Vernon Wells (Mad Max Road Warrior), make-up artists from the TV show Grimm, and stuntmen from the Call of Duty games.
What you’ll learn in this book:
- How planning and shooting a short film today can lead to a feature-length project tomorrow
- Everything you need to know about writing a movie project on a burger budget
- Tips on how to find locations and not get arrested
- Shooting tips galore for building exciting scenes
- Sound and film editing tips and all kinds of special effects wizardry, including puppetry
- Screenings, promotions and juicy tips on film festival strategy
• 81% of Americans want to write a book • Self-pubbed books accounted for 31% of all e-book sales • According to Bowker 458,000 books were indie pubbed in 2015 in the US. That’s up 437% from 2008 • Many would-be authors get gouged by self-publishing services that charge them thousands of dollars • The author is successfully self-published and is on a mission to help others publish their books without getting ripped off and thrive as entrepreneur businesspeople • Youtube channel: 11,775 subscribers • 126,795 views • Currently has 2 self-pub’d fiction titles on Amazon Best Sellers Rank under 10k • http://www.southstrandnews.com/article/20150306/gtt06/150309888/1129
[Available as audio]