Stories of success, happiness and hope from the LGBT community
Stories that comprise the best of LGBT history ─ Pride and Joy: LGBTQ Artists, Icons and Everyday Heroes tells the stories of queer citizens of the world living OUT and proud happy, fulfilling, successful lives. Diverse and global. Famous and unsung. There is a story here for everyone in the LGBT community who has ever questioned their sexual orientation or gender identity, or discovered it.
Discover LGBT community stories that will stir you and reveal:
• why Tony Kushner quit cello and how Colm Toibin found his voice.
• why Emma Donoghue calls her experience a fluke and the best advice Bill T. Jones got was from his mother.
• how being an inaugural poet changed Richard Blanco’s life and how Ugandan activist “LongJones” escaped death threats and gained asylum.
Award-winning writer and longtime LGBTQ activist Kathleen Archambeau tells the untold stories from diverse LGBT community voices around the corner or around the world. Not like the depressing, sinister, shadowy stories of the past, this book highlights queer people living open, happy, fulfilling and successful lives.
Be inspired by LGBT community stories that celebrate the human spirit:
• Be emboldened by the bravery of a Uruguayan author who was rejected by her immediate family even as she began a family of her own.
• Be inspired by the audacity to fight for justice that motivates National Center for Lesbian Rights Executive Director Kate Kendell, a Mormon who grew up in Utah.
• Learn how two couples transcend time and distance to finally be together and how one NBA sports executive summoned the courage to come out.
• Discover the message of love from the first openly lesbian United Methodist Church Bishop.
• Learn the secrets of successful OUT IBM executive based in London and the rewards of Ballroom Basix founder in Harlem.
• See how the Maori philosophy of whānau guided the MP who won marriage rights in New Zealand and how high expectations overcame disability and bullying for an acclaimed mezzo-soprano.
• Know how the Armenian Genocide and family tensions impacted a professional violinist and composer.
Pride & Joy is a window into the LGBTQ community for straight friends, allies, parents and families of this finally emerging marginalized group. There’s hope that, in the words of Dan Savage, “It Gets Better” for:
• the transgender choreographer and dancer who continues to break rules and enlighten audiences to the Dutch singer, songwriter and independent theater producer who breaks down stereotypes.
• the Russian émigré award-winning computer scientist to the Chinese folk dancer.
• the founder of an award-winning smoking cessation program to the California Political Director of the Obama re-election campaign.
• and, for Entrepreneurs and gay dads, ballroom dancers and Hungarian activists on neo-Nazi “hit lists.”
By LaToya Ali
LaToya Forever ─ Life, love and laughter with a great YouTube star
YouTube star: LaToya "LaToya Forever" Ali has been putting a smile on people’s faces since 2009 when she first picked up a video camera and started sharing her fascinating thoughts, hilarious stories and moments from her life. She soon became one of the great YouTube stars. A hugely successful black woman as well as great YouTube star, LaToya continues to capture the hearts of millions with her playful, quirky, and inspirational vlog (and with the help of her adorable daughter and loving husband).
How she became LaToya Forever: However, LaToya didn’t always fit in. In this no-hold-barred inspirational memoir, she carefully looks back on her journey from friendless to “internet famous,” and her step-by-step journey from self-consciousness to self-loving. In her words, “Just being able to connect with people from all walks of life. My videos have made an impact…I feel like I’m making a positive change in the world.”