Sassafras Lowrey is the 2013 of the Lambda Literary Emerging Writer Award. Sassafras’ books- Lost Boi, Kicked Out, A Little Queermas Carol, Leather Ever After, and Roving Pack have been honored by organizations ranging from the National Leather Association to the American Library Association. Sassafras’ nonfiction book Left Out: How Marriage Equality Abandoned Homeless LGBTQ Youth is forthcoming from The New Press. Sassafras’ fiction and nonfiction has appeared in numerous anthologies and literary journals. Sassafras regularly teaches writing at colleges and conferences across the country. Sassafras has been involved with dog sports and dog training for over twenty years from Competition Obedience, Dog Agility, Tricks, Rally Obedience, and service dog training. In the early 2000s Sassafras competed at top levels of Dog Agility. Sassafras is a Certified Trick Dog Instructor (CTDI) and has achieved the highest award level of All Star Trainer. Sassafras currently competes with her own dogs in tricks and canine parkour and trains in rally obedience and dog agility. Sassafras’ dogs have achieved Champion Trick Dog (the highest level of trick competition), and Trick Dog Performer titles. Sassafras has written regularly for dog magazines for over a decade and she regularly contributes to The Bark, Dogster Magazine and Whole Dog Journal amongst other publications discussing dog lifestyle trends, news, dog health, training and behavior. Sassafras is also a pet parenting/lifestyle monthly columnist for Curve Magazine and Grok Nation.
Updates and Events
- Mar 31, 2020 | Dogster/ What to do if Your Dog Needs Vet Care During the Coronavirus Pandemic
- Mar 25, 2020 | Dogster/ Teach Your Dog a New Trick While You’re Stuck At Home
- Mar 18, 2020 | The New York Times/ Helping Your Dog Survive During a Quarantine
- Mar 09, 2020 | Narratively/ How Sassafras Lowrey Made Writing About Dogs a Career
- Mar 05, 2020 | AKC/ Supporting Blind Dogs: How To Deal With Vision Loss In Your Canine Companion
- Feb 29, 2020 | AKC Articles/ Sassafras Lowrey, CTDI & BBC Interview