PaganSquare.com - WitchesAndPagans.com
Middle Earth Magic: Inspired Ideas and Seasonal Spells for Your Enchanted Life
I grew up on a farm in West Virginia and learned much about herbs, trees, animals, gardening, foraging and so much about nature. I incorporate this wisdom I learned from elders in my family into my spellwork. When I finally left the farm, I majored in Medieval Studies, my attempt to emulate my idol, J.R.R. Tolkien. All these influences led me to my own blended brew which I call "middle earth magic," containing a mix of the modern and the time-tested "old ways."
Sacred Aztec Totems: Animal Magic in Your Life
In Central Mexico, the Nahuatl Indians believe we all have at least one “animal soul.” Like your natal chart, the animal soul, or nagual, is born exactly when you are. It is tied to your destiny. Legend tells us that our soul animals are kept and cared for in the underworld by the Aztec Lord of Animals. If you care for your nagual, you will also be under the safekeeping of the Lord of the Underworld. One excellent way to take care of your nagual is to create and altar to honor and work with it. Place photos and mementos of living loved ones and pets on an altar table in a circle to represent the world in which you live. Hang symbols or illustrations of protective presences on the wall behind your nagual altar—gods, goddesses, saints, orishas, or whoever you feel is benevolent. These deities connect you to the realm of the sky. Beneath your altar, place a treasure box of photos, gifts, or keepsakes in honor of your ancestors to please the spirits of the underworld and their realm, known as Talocan.
Place fresh flowers upon your altar every day and “feed” you soul animal, the Lord of the Underworld, and his throng. They will feel well served if each day you share with them water, food that you have cooked for yourself, freshly baked bread, and sweets. While it might seem surprising, the spirits of the nether realm like the earthly pleasures of tobacco and alcohol, so provide them with these offerings as well. Light a candle on your altar each and every day as homage. Obtain a feather, a horn, a bone, and another animal relic to place on your altar; it is important that you get this sacred object without harming any beasts. Your altar is a blessing to the animals of this world and the next.
You now have a way to discover your personal soul animal. The dream world is where we can encounter such spirits. Sleep in front of your Aztec altar, and pray to the Lord of the Underworld to care for you and reveal your nagual to you. Keep a dream journal and pay close attention to any animals that show up in your life. As you go about your day, take time to pet and commune with these animals if it is safe or possible to do so. Taking care of animals is our sacred duty and is pleasing to the spirits of Talocan.
Magical Animal Correspondences:
• Canary: harmony, joy, love, luck
• Chameleon: mutability, color, invisibility, protection, and power over weather
• Fish: wealth, family, children, divination, finding your spouse
• Frog: initiation, transformation, regeneration, annihilation of the negative and psychic blocks
• Bird: travel, amplified mind and memory, divination
• Cat: independence, protection, uncovering secrets, spirits
• Dog: loyalty, sustained effort, hearing, friendship, guardian
• Lizard: dreams and dream divination, powers of the imagination
• Lovebirds: love and marriage, partnership and companionship
• Parrot: impersonation, mindless chatter, repetition
• Snakes: creativity, wisdom, psychism, rebirth and regeneration, relation to spirits
• Spider: insight, originality, new start
• Turtle: patience, perspicacity, longevity
Please login first in order for you to submit comments