When Misty was six years old her family started to live and dress like the Amish. Misty and her sister were kept as slaves on a mountain ranch where we were subjected to almost complete isolation, sexual abuse and extreme physical violence. Her step-father kept a loaded rifle by the door at all times to make sure the young girls were too terrified to try to escape. They also knew that no rescue would ever come because only a couple of people even knew we existed or did not know them well enough to care. When Misty reached her teens, her parents feared we would escape and took us to an Amish community where they were adopted and became baptized members. Misty was devastated to once again find herself in a world of fear, animal cruelty and sexual abuse. Going to the police was forbidden. A few years later, Misty was sexually assaulted by the bishop. As Misty recalls,”I knew I had to get help and one freezing morning in early March I made a dash for a tiny police station in rural Minnesota. When I refused to recant my police report I was excommunicated from the Amish and found myself plummeted into the strange modern world with only a second grade education and no ID or social security card. To all abuse survivors out there, please be encouraged, the cycle of abuse can be broken. Today, ten years later, I am a nursing student working towards my Masters degree and a child abuse awareness activist. This is my story.”
#1 Amazon New Release! ─ Leveling the Playing Field for All Our Young Children
Readers of Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson will love Dave Lawrence's A Dedicated Life
What are you going to do for the rest of your life? For Dave Lawrence, a brilliant newspaper editor and publisher with a distinguished, three-decade-long journalism career who retired in 1999 at the age of 56, the answer in his words was to dedicate his life to a “newly energized purposefulness: that every child have a real chance to succeed.”
The Children’s Movement of Florida: Dave Lawrence, a life-long champion of children, became a leading national advocate for children and was instrumental in founding The Children’s Movement of Florida. Dave Lawrence's Movement is focused on making Florida’s children, especially in their early years, the No. 1 priority for state investment.
Jeb Bush, Florida’s 43rd governor from 1999 to 2007 and 2016 presidential candidate: “This special book is the story of a good man who has lived an impressive, fascinating, full life dedicated to his family, his profession, his faith and his service to others, especially the youngest and most vulnerable among us. How he describes the passion, persistence and skills of civic engagement to accomplish these building blocks to success is worth the price of the book.”
Bob Graham, Florida’s 38th governor from 1979 to 1987, U.S. senator from Florida from 1987 to 2005, and presidential candidate in 2003: "For more than 40 years, Dave was a journalist, rising from co-editor of his high school newspaper to editor or publisher of several of America’s most distinguished newspapers. At each, he inspired the highest standards of journalism built upon a deep immersion into the communities these newspapers served. But the most lasting impression you’ll have will be of a highly principled man applying his talents and values in a transitioning America."
By Eric Brach
#1 Amazon New Release! ─ Terrifying true crime stories
True Crime is hot right now, with true crime books, TV shows, and podcasts topping lists of readers, viewers, and listeners across the country. Eric Brach's new book Double Lives: True Tales of the Criminals Next Door offers terrifying true stories about the criminals hidden among us and the banality of evil and crime, elevated by its frank discussion of the nation-wide criminal scourge of the moment: opioid addiction.
Double Lives chronicles the very monsters who walk unnoticed among us ─ even serial killers like Jeffrey Dahmer, Ted Bundy, or John Wayne Gacy. They are neighbors and students, professionals and friends living out criminal double lives. Double Lives is both a nonfiction exposé and a nationwide search that details the exploits of some of the worst criminals in recent American history, all of whom succeeded in going undetected for years while perpetrating one crime after another… and all in their own hometowns. Gender? Race? Age? Socioeconomic class? It doesn’t matter. All stripes of people from all walks of life are profiled in this true crime roller-coaster.
At the same time, the author provides a personal look at opioid addiction and its current effects right alongside these binge-worthy tales of two-faced criminals caught and incarcerated, making Double Lives a sensational yet sobering read.
If you're a fan of true crime and serial killer books such as Pretty Little Killers, Mind Hunter, or The Big Book of Serial Killers you'll love Double Lives.
Find hope with this collection of true stories of lasting romance
The surprising beginnings of true love: You never know when it might happen: love might be right around the corner, down the block, or across the aisle from you on your next flight. Stories of how people met are endlessly fascinating and they remind us that we all need to be ready for anything, including meeting the love of your life when you least expect it.
Healing stories of serendipitous romance: After a bad break up, composer and beloved songwriter David Friedman embarked on a decade-long journey collecting couple’s stories of “how they met” as a therapeutic project. What Friedman learned was utterly surprising―there was always an element of serendipity, planning had nothing to do with it. Along the way, what started out as a path to moving forward became a mission to better understand matters of the heart.
Romantic biographies and real-life relationships: In this study of true romance, Friedman talks to people from every walk of life, from devout churchgoers to same sex couples to celebrities. Among others, How They Metshares the moving stories of how Lucie Arnaz met her famous mate, Lawrence Luckinbill, and the unexpected story of Kathie Lee and Frank Gifford’s friendship turning to romance.
How They Met gives readers:
- Real life stories that will give hope to even the most heart broken.
- A truly diverse set of stories that shows the universality of true love.
- A close-up look at the romances and relationships of famous couples.
This collection of true stories will have you believing that love will find YOU – perhaps when you least expect it!
Finalist Pacific Book Awards 2018! ─ Empowering stories of game-changing women
Dorothy Parker observed, “It’s a man’s world;” the lady entrepreneurs and game-changers profiled in Women Who Launch would beg to differ. Unlike the matrons of the 1950s-the women who lunched-these kick-ass females left their DNA in the annals of time.
A history of women in business and beyond: Julia Ward-Howe showed what’s good for the goose is good for the gander when she created the Girl Scouts of America. Sara Joseph Hale-authoress of Mary had a Little Lamb- convinced Lincoln to launch a national day of thanks while Anna Jarvis persuaded President Wilson to initiate a day in tribute of mothers. Estee Lauder revolutionized the cosmetics industry. The tradition of these Mothers of Invention continued when, compliments of knitter Krista Suh, the heads of millions were adorned with pink, pussy-cat ears in the largest women's march in history. These women who launched prove-in the words of Rosie the Riveter, “We can do it!”
Biographies of women creators, innovators, and leaders: Women Who Launch is filled with inspiring true stories of women activists, artists, entrepreneurs who launched some of the most famous companies, brands, and organizations today and changed the world. It is at once a collection of biographies and a testament of female empowerment.
Readers will find:
- The stories behind renowned companies, brands, and organizations and the diverse women who launched them.
- empowering quotes from strong women and those who refused to be kept down.
- motivation to all women who want to succeed in their careers, launch companies, and change the world.
Find motivation in your career and life with the amazing history of women entrepreneurship, activism, and leadership.
The true confessions of an eating disorders survivor
This confessional self-help guide explores the complex emotional truth of what it’s like when food, weight, and body image take priority over every other human impulse or action. Activist author Marissa LaRocca's revelatory tale includes her struggle with her secrets, including sexuality, and how she emerged as an outspoken advocate for gay rights and women’s health issues.
Anorexia and bulimia health crisis: Many young women and girls struggle with the body image issues that engender eating disorders with elaborate rituals around food, binging, purging, and hiding it all while trying to maintain a face of normalcy to the world. Anorexia and bulimia have become major national health crises with skyrocketing statistics indicating that between 3 and 5% of the population suffer anorexia nervosa alone. Sadly, many never attain the sense of being “normal” and deal with a lifetime of body image and self-esteem issues.
Coming of age story of a woman battling for self-esteem: This intimate account of courage and the search for truth and meaning will have you rooting for Marissa LaRocca as she unravels the emotional layers of her own battle with food, body image, and sexuality. Readers of this riveting memoir, Starving in Search of Me, will relate to the coming-of-age story of a young woman confronting some of life’s major issues while living, for a time, in two closets: one to hide her eating disorder and one to hide her sexuality and very identity.
What You'll Learn Inside This Book:
- Identify the root causes, symptoms, and triggers associated with an eating disorder
- Acknowledge the "life issues" that are being masked by "food issues" or another addiction
- Disempower compulsive behaviors like binging, purging, and obsessing about calories and exercise
- Heal your relationship with food through healing your relationship with yourself
- Escape the victim role, become empowered, and take responsibility for your own happiness
- Connect with your life’s purpose and authentic self, transforming your weaknesses into strengths
- Free your mind through tuning in to the body and witnessing emotions
- Improve your body image and self-esteem by aligning your lifestyle with your true values, desires, and what is realistic
- Effectively communicate your needs with confidence
- Establish guilt-free lifestyle boundaries to reduce anxiety and maximize vitality
- Enhance peace of mind by developing a reliable support system
- Eliminate the need to be perfect by practicing forgiveness and compassion toward yourself
By Les Arbuckle
By Jen Cross
By KJ Landis
A health and wellness toolkit
Health and wellness: Happy Healthy You is a multidisciplinary approach to reclaiming ultimate wellness. We are all so busy nowadays, and tackling all those to-do lists can leave us drained, worn down, and lacking energy. When you take a deeper look inside, you will also discover patterns, old habits, and past events blocking self-growth. Life coach extraordinaire KJ Landis helps identify how, why, and where we got stuck in the first place, and how we can utilize past trauma and drama as a springboard to becoming our most authentic, vibrant selves. As one of KJ's students enthuses, "She has taught me several tangible strategies to cope with stress...I am using KJ's simple techniques to achieve my lifelong health goals.'"
Stress relievers: Learn to lose the baggage and blame once and for all and step into your better self. KJ Landis herself is an exemplar of the practices she espouses. In her early career as a model, she masked years of abuse behind her beauty. Her journey to health and happiness is remarkable and truly inspiring. So many of us bury pieces of ourselves, never daring to become whole. Landis' work offers a path to wholeness for all. The variety of healing therapies and practices makes this book unique in its contribution to the self-help and wellness world. Each day, we are faced with an immense amount of daily stress. Over time, those stressors may build up to a really big deal in our lives, causing us to go into survival mode. When you are only surviving, you are not thriving. In addition to the day-to-day sources of stress, many of us are exposed to major issues such as neglect, loneliness, abandonment issues, sexual abuse, grieving after loss, breakups, workplace challenges, environmental disasters, hormonal imbalances, and nutritional deficiencies. KJ Landis tackles all the blocks to wellness with excellent practical tools for overcoming and recovering.
Inside this book you will learn:
- the origin of how we remain "stuck" in our lives
- how to use The Negative Thought Pot to rid ourselves of self-deprecating beliefs
- how hormones and epigenetics affect mental and physical wellness
- the role of nutrition in every aspect of our health
- therapeutic movement as a modality in healing
- the power of self-care through restorative practices
- and much, much more!
Stories of success, happiness and hope from the LGBT community
Stories that comprise the best of LGBT history: Pride and Joy: LGBTQ Artists, Icons and Everyday Heroestells the stories of queer citizens of the world living OUT and proud happy, fulfilling, successful lives. Diverse and global. Famous and unsung. There is a story here for everyone in the LGBT community who has ever questioned their sexual orientation or gender identity, or discovered it.
Discover LGBT community stories that will stir you and reveal:
- why Tony Kushner quit cello and how Colm Toibin found his voice.
- why Emma Donoghue calls her experience a fluke and the best advice Bill T. Jones got was from his mother.
- how being an inaugural poet changed Richard Blanco’s life and how Ugandan activist “LongJones” escaped death threats and gained asylum.
Award-winning writer and longtime LGBTQ activist Kathleen Archambeau tells the untold stories from diverse LGBT community voices around the corner or around the world. Not like the depressing, sinister, shadowy stories of the past, this book highlights queer people living open, happy, fulfilling and successful lives.
Be inspired by LGBT community stories that celebrate the human spirit:
- Be emboldened by the bravery of a Uruguayan author who was rejected by her immediate family even as she began a family of her own.
- Be inspired by the audacity to fight for justice that motivates National Center for Lesbian Rights Executive Director Kate Kendell, a Mormon who grew up in Utah.
- Learn how two couples transcend time and distance to finally be together and how one NBA sports executive summoned the courage to come out.
- Discover the message of love from the first openly lesbian United Methodist Church Bishop.
- Learn the secrets of successful OUT IBM executive based in London and the rewards of Ballroom Basix founder in Harlem.
- See how the Maori philosophy of whānau guided the MP who won marriage rights in New Zealand and how high expectations overcame disability and bullying for an acclaimed mezzo-soprano.
- Know how the Armenian Genocide and family tensions impacted a professional violinist and composer.
Pride & Joy is a window into the LGBTQ community for straight friends, allies, parents and families of this finally emerging marginalized group. There’s hope that, in the words of Dan Savage, “It Gets Better” for:
- the transgender choreographer and dancer who continues to break rules and enlighten audiences to the Dutch singer, songwriter and independent theater producer who breaks down stereotypes.
- the Russian émigré award-winning computer scientist to the Chinese folk dancer.
- the founder of an award-winning smoking cessation program to the California Political Director of the Obama re-election campaign.
- and, for Entrepreneurs and gay dads, ballroom dancers and Hungarian activists on neo-Nazi “hit lists.”
By LaToya Ali
LaToya Forever ─ Life, love and laughter with a great YouTube star
YouTube star: LaToya "LaToya Forever" Ali has been putting a smile on people’s faces since 2009 when she first picked up a video camera and started sharing her fascinating thoughts, hilarious stories and moments from her life. She soon became one of the great YouTube stars. A hugely successful black woman as well as great YouTube star, LaToya continues to capture the hearts of millions with her playful, quirky, and inspirational vlog (and with the help of her adorable daughter and loving husband).
How she became LaToya Forever: However, LaToya didn’t always fit in. In this no-hold-barred inspirational memoir, she carefully looks back on her journey from friendless to “internet famous,” and her step-by-step journey from self-consciousness to self-loving. In her words, “Just being able to connect with people from all walks of life. My videos have made an impact…I feel like I’m making a positive change in the world.”
By Ty Alexander
#1 Amazon Best Seller ─ Coping With Loss
The grieving process: Ty Alexander of Gorgeous in Grey is one of the top bloggers today. She has a tremendous personal connection with her readers. This is never more apparent than when she speaks about her mother. The pain of loss is universal. Yet, we all grieve differently. For Alexander, the grieving process is one that she lives with day-to-day. Learning from her pain, Alexander connects with her readers on a deeply emotional level in her debut book, Things I Wish I Knew before My Mom Died: Coping with Loss Every Day. From grief counseling to sharing insightful true stories, Alexander offers comfort, reassurance, and hope in the face of sorrow.
Coping with loss: In her early 20’s reality smacked Ty in the face. She was ill equipped to deal with the emotional and intellectual rollercoaster of dealing with her mom’s illness. Through her own trial and error, she found a way to be a caregiver, patient advocate, researcher, and a grieving daughter. She wrote Things I Wish I Knew before My Mom Died: Coping with Loss Every Day to help others find the “best” way to cope and move on, however one personally decides what that means.
Mourning and remembrance: In the chapters of this soul-touching book, mourners will find meaning and wisdom in grieving and the love that will always remain. Each chapter is a study and lesson in coping with loss:
- Chapter 1: We’ve been duped, everyone dies!
- Chapter 2: The truth about my moderately dysfunctional family
- Chapter 3: The Art Of Losing
- Chapter 4: The how of grieving
- Chapter 5: How to be obsessively grateful
- Chapter 6: Dear Mama
By The Associated Press