Mama Says is a delightful, funny, and very wise book of over 400 sayings from mothers from around the world that represent a lineage of mothers' wisdom. The sayings are not always kind, not always useful, but always true to the intention of teaching young ones how to survive in the world. Many times, it's clear that these sayings are inherited wisdom, received from their mothers who learned it from theirs back into the untraceable past:
- "Nobody said life was fair.""You don't have anything to lose by asking."
- "From your mouth to God's ears."
- "Men only want one thing."
Many times, what mama had to say was simply outrageous:
- "When faced with a room full of horse shit, look for the horse."
- "There's always something to come along to shorten the tail of the rabbit."
- "Whatever situation you find yourself in, think of what the Virgin Mary would do and do the same."
Mama Says will make anybody laugh out loud remembering what Mom used to say, or smile recognizing how often we end up with the exact same words coming out of our own mouths. After all, "sooner or later, we all quote our mothers."