By Jen Cross
Stories of success, happiness and hope from the LGBT community
Stories that comprise the best of LGBT history: Pride and Joy: LGBTQ Artists, Icons and Everyday Heroestells the stories of queer citizens of the world living OUT and proud happy, fulfilling, successful lives. Diverse and global. Famous and unsung. There is a story here for everyone in the LGBT community who has ever questioned their sexual orientation or gender identity, or discovered it.
Discover LGBT community stories that will stir you and reveal:
- why Tony Kushner quit cello and how Colm Toibin found his voice.
- why Emma Donoghue calls her experience a fluke and the best advice Bill T. Jones got was from his mother.
- how being an inaugural poet changed Richard Blanco’s life and how Ugandan activist “LongJones” escaped death threats and gained asylum.
Award-winning writer and longtime LGBTQ activist Kathleen Archambeau tells the untold stories from diverse LGBT community voices around the corner or around the world. Not like the depressing, sinister, shadowy stories of the past, this book highlights queer people living open, happy, fulfilling and successful lives.
Be inspired by LGBT community stories that celebrate the human spirit:
- Be emboldened by the bravery of a Uruguayan author who was rejected by her immediate family even as she began a family of her own.
- Be inspired by the audacity to fight for justice that motivates National Center for Lesbian Rights Executive Director Kate Kendell, a Mormon who grew up in Utah.
- Learn how two couples transcend time and distance to finally be together and how one NBA sports executive summoned the courage to come out.
- Discover the message of love from the first openly lesbian United Methodist Church Bishop.
- Learn the secrets of successful OUT IBM executive based in London and the rewards of Ballroom Basix founder in Harlem.
- See how the Maori philosophy of whānau guided the MP who won marriage rights in New Zealand and how high expectations overcame disability and bullying for an acclaimed mezzo-soprano.
- Know how the Armenian Genocide and family tensions impacted a professional violinist and composer.
Pride & Joy is a window into the LGBTQ community for straight friends, allies, parents and families of this finally emerging marginalized group. There’s hope that, in the words of Dan Savage, “It Gets Better” for:
- the transgender choreographer and dancer who continues to break rules and enlighten audiences to the Dutch singer, songwriter and independent theater producer who breaks down stereotypes.
- the Russian émigré award-winning computer scientist to the Chinese folk dancer.
- the founder of an award-winning smoking cessation program to the California Political Director of the Obama re-election campaign.
- and, for Entrepreneurs and gay dads, ballroom dancers and Hungarian activists on neo-Nazi “hit lists.”
#1 Amazon Bestseller! ─ Are you seeking a deeper understanding of gender identity and sexual identity?
The ABCs of LGBT+ is a #1 Bestselling LGBT book and is essential reading for questioning teens, teachers or parents looking for advice, or anyone who wants to learn how to talk about gender identity and sexual identity. In The ABCs of LGBT+, Ashley Mardell, a beloved blogger and YouTube star, answers many of your questions about:
- lgbt and lgbt+
- gender identity
- sexual identity
- teens in a binary world
- the LGBT family
- and more
Understanding gender identity and sexual identity: The 21st Century has seen very positive movement for LGBT+ rights. In the last few years the overturning of DOMA, the SCOTUS ruling in favor of the Marriage Equality Act, American transgender politicians elected to office, and landmark moments such as Apple becoming the most valuable company in the world under the leadership of an openly gay CEO have advanced LGBT awareness and understanding. In a world full of LGBT questions, Mardell’s The ABC’s of LGBT+ has the answers.
The trusted voice of Ashley Mardell: We are living in a post-binary world where gender fluency and awareness of gender identity and a real understanding of our LGBT family is essential. Ashley Mardell, one of the most trusted voices on YouTube, presents a detailed look at all things LGBT+ in this remarkable book. Along with in-depth definitions, personal anecdotes, helpful infographics, resources, and more; Mardell’s LGBT book is proof it does get better every day in a world where people are empowered by information and understanding. In Mardell’s own words, "This book is also for allies and LGBT+ people simply looking to pack in some extra knowledge… a critical part of acceptance. Learning about new identities broadens our understanding of humanity, heightens our empathy, and allows us different, valuable perspectives.”
Great Study Skills ─ Study Smarter ─ Reach Your Full Potential!
"This book is everything I wish I knew when I was in high school! Every student should be armed with Jess's guide." - Pritish Agarwal - Partner Manager, YouTube.
“This is a really sweet, encouraging handbook to have during a time when we all need that extra motivation and support.” – Natalie Tran, The Community Channel
“High School Survival Guide teaches you how to survive both school and life!" - Lenoria Addison, Partner Manager, AwesomenessTV
"Highly recommended!" - Guillaume Deront, Country Manager, Gleam Futures
We’re all told to study hard in high school but none of us are ever taught HOW to study, let alone how to balance the increasing workload and demands of teenage life.So many students feel anxious, stressed and overwhelmed at the thought of starting high school because they think it means they are going to be given so much homework they will feel like they’re drowning. They feel a huge pressure to succeed, that they neglect other areas of their lives, which makes life more stressful and their grades actually suffer! But what if I told you that you don’t have to fall into this trap? That you can LOVE high school, form amazing friendships, grow your confidence, excel academically, feel proud of your achievements and at the same time, feel 100% supported! You don’t have to sacrifice your life to get through high school and I am going to show you step-by-step exactly how to do it and become your most organised, productive, motivated and confident self! My grandmother, who is full of wisdom but also fiery like the Mediterranean blood coursing through her veins, shared something with me that I always keep in mind, especially as I wrote this book. One day, when I was feeling overwhelmed, she ask me, “Jessica, how do you eat an elephant?” Then she answered, “One bite at a time.”
This is exactly what I do in The High School Survival Guide. I help you focus on each area of your life one step (or bite) at a time, from setting up the ideal study space, organising your study schedule and strategically revising for exams, to building your confidence, tackling study-stress and anxiety, avoiding burnout, and setting effective goals!
This book is for you if:
Whether you want to improve your grades, stress less, get organised, re-gain your confidence, or boost your motivation and productivity, The High School Survival Guide will teach you how to get the MOST out of your high school experience.
Inside, you'll learn:
* How to identify which study techniques work best for YOU
* How to increase your productivity
* How to improve your focus during class
* How to avoid burnout and manage study related stress and anxiety
* How to throw the ultimate study party and make revising fun!
It’s also filled with study tips and tricks, mini summaries and helpful exercises to put your new skills into practice!
Most important, this book is about to make you unstoppable.
Get your copy now and say "Yes" to having an amazing high school experience.
As Editor-in-Chief at TheFabFemme.com, Aryka Randall has become the authority on Girl+Girl love, especially for women of color. Now in her first book, She's Just Not That Into You, Randall tells her story and gets the conversation heated up on queer dating, relationships, open commitments, living arrangements, work, money, love, sex and lust. She’s Just Not That Into You covers everything from reality checks your friends won't give you and learning to love yourself to avoiding toxic relationships and why serial dating often leads to disaster – the kind of advice any young woman in love or looking for love needs.
[Available as audio]
By The Associated Press