Nita Sweeney’s articles, essays, and poems have appeared in Buddhist America, Dog World, Dog Fancy, Writer’s Journal, Country Living, Pitkin Review, Spring Street, WNBA-SF blog, and in several newspapers and newsletters. She writes the blog, BumGlue and publishes the monthly email, Write Now Newsletter. Her memoir, Depression Hates a Moving Target: How Running with My Dog Brought Me Back from the Brink, was short-listed for the 2018 William Faulkner – William Wisdom Creative Writing Competition Award. Nita earned a journalism degree from The E.W. Scripps School of Journalism at Ohio University, a law degree from The Ohio State University, and an M.F.A. in Creative Writing from Goddard College. For ten years, she studied with and assisted best-selling author Natalie Goldberg (Writing Down the Bones) at weeklong writing workshops teaching the “rules of writing practice” and leading participants in sitting and walking meditation. Goldberg authorized Nita to teach “writing practice” and Nita has taught for nearly twenty years. When she’s not writing and teaching, Nita runs. She has completed three full marathons, twenty-six half marathons (in eighteen states), and more than sixty shorter races. Nita lives in central Ohio with her husband and biggest fan, Ed, and her yellow Labrador running partner, Scarlet (aka #ninetyninepercentgooddog).
Updates and Events
- Aug 29, 2020 | Ohioana Book Festival featuring Nita Sweeney & Other Ohio Authors
- Aug 09, 2020 | Writing from the Inside Out with Nita Sweeney
- Jun 18, 2020 | Harness the Power of Words
- Apr 11, 2020 | LIVE Podcast/Voices of Change 2.0 with Nita Sweeney
- Apr 08, 2020 | Author Panel: Heart Wisdom in the Coronavirus Crisis
- Apr 08, 2020 | Positive Connection / Virtual Author Events from Mango